Thursday, September 11, 2008

100 Words - 25

After the children were picked up from school, after I drove home to our apartment, I met Josh in our front hallway. It took him several hours to get through the traffic leaving the city. I was so thankful that he hadn't taken the metro that day. We laid in bed because we were unsure of what we should do or what we could do. We were so immobilized, it just wasn't clear to us if it was okay to go to the supermarket to pick up something to eat. It was as if we were waiting for a voice to come booming out of the ground, telling us what we were allowed to do in this new normal.

--from Stirrup Queens

2 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I remember the paralysis, too.

And taking a very long time to figure out what the new normal is.

Kir said...

"Normal" has never been the same for me.