Monday, October 13, 2008

100 Words - 3

I was adopted as a five-day-old infant by parents who had yearned ten years for a baby. Throughout my childhood they showered me with hugs, kisses, tender words, family stories and quality experiences. They called me their chosen child. But still I wondered if I could I disappoint them enough that they would regret that choice. When I was twenty, Mama and I were taking about adoption and she said – I forget the context – that they would have kept me if I had Down’s syndrome I was their baby. Period. And I finally fully accepted their love.

--from And Now...

1 comment:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I think you touch on something that is widespread: love is not always easy to accept, even though it is something we all want.

I'm glad you and your parents had that breakthrough.