Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Bumps in the Road

Yea, I know. April is over. Autism Awareness month is over. It's May now. Time for a new topic.

Right?

Not necessarily. For parents with children on the Autism Spectrum, life doesn't go back to being typical because April is over.

As many of you know from reading my posts and my blog site, my 9 year old son has Aspergers Syndrome, part of the Autism Spectrum Disorders.

For the most part, we're at a good place right now. He's on a low dose of an ADHD med. He's on the Gluten/Casein Free Diet. He's got a 504 Plan to level the playing field in school. We've got a handle on the strategies that make day to day stuff go OK. He's happy, has friends this year and is doing well academically in school.

But he's not what some would say recovered. If you took away all the supports, his symptoms increase. And sometimes you don't even need to take away the supports.

Click here to continue reading...

Robin is the contributing editor for Asperger Syndrome. She writes daily at her personal blog, My Life As It Is, where she writes about her son Adam, Asperger, and autism awareness. You can also find her at DC Metro Moms.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Thank you Robin for this glimpse into your life with your beloved son - I love the specifics, though some of them are hard specifics. You really hit at the heart of loving essence, loving people as we are, quirks and all. I have a grandson who has severe dyslexia and some language processing struggles, also superb social skills and a gift for compassion. I have to work at remembering that if he were different in ways that made school easier, he would be other than himself.

luna said...

robin, thank you for sharing your story here. I;m glad you have some good support for adam, and I hope for you too.