Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Robin's Story

Robin is the contributing editor for Aspergers. She writes daily at her personal blog, My Life As It Is, where she writes about her son Adam, Aspergers and autism awareness. You can also find her at DC Metro Moms.


I’m Robin, one of the new contributing editors for the Parenting Children with Special Needs Categories. Welcome! We are hoping to create a community where we can learn from each other as well as support each other. Within parenting your child with special needs, whether your child has mental retardation, a learning disability, ADHD, autism, blindness, hearing impairment, a chronic medical condition or anything else, you are welcome here.

I am the parent of an almost 10 year old, Adam, who has Asperger Syndrome. We have our good days and our not so good days, as you all do. But I wouldn't trade him for the world. He is my buddy, no if-and-buts-about-it! I am also a former Special Ed Teacher (have taught children with all disabilities pretty much, but mostly Autism and Multiple Disabilities), as well as Local Screening and Inclusion Facilitator for the county for over a decade. I'm taking some time off, and am now doing ABA therapy for a private company and also pursuing my BCBA. I also co-teach an adapted Tae Kwon Do class for children with mild disabilities. So, yes, I live with special needs, and also work with special needs. I think this puts me in a unique position.

I'm fairly new in the blogging world - having only been blogging for about a year now. But WOW. What a community this is! In my spare time (ha, ha) I love to scrapbook, read, bike ride, kickbox and sleep.

What about you?

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Robin, I'm a former special ed teacher too, and caught by your perspective here. I will be looking for your posts.