Wednesday, September 3, 2008

How Do You Do It?

I frequently get comments from other mom’s asking me, “How do you do it?” referring to taking care of Jenna’s “special needs.” (She has a MIC-KEY gastrostomy “button” that we attach a feeding tube and pump to several times a day. This is currently the only way she “eats.” The picture above is her wearing her feeding pump in a backpack with a tube feeding her.) I’m always a little bit taken by surprise by the question. I guess my answer is, “The same way every mom does it.” Just like I rarely think of Jenna as “different” or “special needs,” I rarely think of myself as different from other moms. Oh sure, I have those moments of feeling sorry for myself or feeling sorry for Jenna. I wouldn’t be honest if I didn’t ‘fess up to that. BUT, those moments are few and far between and I try to chase them away as soon as they come. The fact is that, just like most moms out there, I take one moment at a time. That’s right. THAT’S the secret!

Click here to continue reading...

Psychmamma is the contributing editor for Special Medical Needs. She writes at Psychmamma where she covers life with Jenna, her "spunky little two year-old who was born with a triple intestinal atresia." Her blog is also the home of Special Needs Sundays.

2 comments:

Tigger said...

Um...the "click here" doesn't work. I want to continue reading but can't! *wail* :)

PsychMamma said...

Tigger -

Checked, and it seems to be working now. Sorry about that! Try, try again! :-)