Monday, October 27, 2008

When You Care Enough to Send the Very Best



I'm not sure what to think about this. Hallmark has a series called "Cards with real words for real life." If you go on their website one of the options is "Help Cope with trying to get pregnant, having a miscarriage or an aging parent." The above card is Hallmark's answer to showing support for an infertile friend or family member.

Now on the one hand, I see this as a breakthrough in mainstream media to include a card about infertility. It is getting the topic out of the shame closet and showing how prevalent this problem is and that it's okay to say something to an infertile person instead of running for the hills because you are too uncomfortable with it. So I do applaud this. But my first reaction to the card was a big giggle at how cheesy this seemed. Saying it with a hallmark card has never really been my style anyway, but I tried to think hard and honestly about how I would feel if I got this in the mail from a friend. Would I be really happy that a friend thought of me or would I feel like this was a lame way of avoiding talking with me about it?

Click here to continue reading...

Tabi is the contributing editor for Surrogacy (Intended Parent). She writes and posts images at The ART of Being Infertile.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I have shared your mixed feelings about premade cards - purchased cards, in many difficult situations - and yet I'm glad people do decide to say something - send something, even if they do get off a little easy using someone else's words. Andy your series of cards is right on - and I actually think sendable for real.

Io said...

Hmm...I think all Hallmark cards are cheesetastic. But it might be the first step in opening communication between friends.