Monday, September 29, 2008

Recover

Yesterday I took my baby to his first AA meeting.

I realised, after much resistance to going, that I have only done about 3 meetings in five months. That is a looooooong time between drinks. Heh. I just felt so, so low. As my sister would say, the rats were doing the can-can in my head.

I sat in that room, where I first sat 10 years ago, and looked around. 12 guys, none of whom I knew, and me. Another woman came halfway through, which was nice. I remembered all of the people who had been to that meeting over the years ... it used to be my home group for a while. I wondered how they all were, how many were still sober. I marvelled that I am still sober. I sat there before the meeting started, idle chit-chat, how old was the baby, isn't the weather warm now. I planned on giving the MOTHER of all shares, because, you know, my problems are just so important right now.

Click here to continue reading...

Topcat is one of the contributing editor for Alcohol and Drug Addiction. She writes daily at Indisputable Topcat where she is parenting after infertility and navigating her husband's cancer.

No comments: