Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Shower Scene

Tomorrow is National Depression Screening Day. This month is National Depression Awareness Month. Cali, traditionally a contributing editor for Alzheimer's Disease presents this post on depression.

I realized this morning that I had not washed my hair on over a week. A full on, seven days. For whatever reason I just wasn’t motivated to do it. I didn’t care. I couldn’t muster up the energy for it. Of course as soon as I realized it I felt gross and nasty and made myself get out of my warm bed to do something about it.

Once I was in the shower and in between the steps rinse and repeat I began to sob. I was positioned directly under the hot stream of water and I just had this image of the heat of the water melting my heart.

It was then that I realized that I have been in walking depression. I don’t know if that is a real term or not, but the way I think of it is that I have been walking around, going about my business & unaware of a hovering, dark cloud of funk inside of me.

Click here to continue reading...

Calliope is the contributing editor for Alzheimer's Disease. She writes daily at Creating Motherhood, where is walks the line between taking care of the older generation while creating the next generation. She lives with and cares for her grandmother who has Alzheimer's.



No comments: